Most people know that my go-to food option before or during a workout or competition is...baby food! Yes, really. Sweet potato baby foods are easy to eat and digest, high in carbs, low in fat, and taste quite good. While baby food pouches aren't expensive, it's just as easy to make your own "workout baby foods" at home. It's SUPER simple:
1. Roast some sweet potatoes until they're very soft.
2. Scrape flesh from skin and place in a food processor with about 2 tablespoons or so of water.
3. Puree. Add water if needed for a smoothier consistency.
Seriously, it's that easy!
Now plain sweet potatoes are pretty delicious, but they can be a little boring so feel free to add in some additional goodies. My favorites are:
- applesauce: add about 1/4-1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce for some extra carbs and flavor
- honey: add in 2 teaspoons or more of honey for sweetness and fast digesting sugars (super helpful during competition)
- cinnamon: I usually add about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon simply because it's delicious
- protein powder: add in 1-2 scoops of your favorite protein powder (vanilla flavors work well here)
Told you, simple. And you don't have to deal with people asking you about your child (that doesn't exist), explaining that they're snacks for YOU, and getting odd looks while you're buying a boatload of baby foods.