Crossfit FAQs & This or That
I’m heading to Baltimore tomorrow for #ExpoEast and Fitbloggin – if you’re going make sure to say hi! I can’t wait to meet everyone, mingle, and learn a ton. I’m incredibly lucky that I was picked to be a LiveBlogger for Fitbloggin and I get to cover the session by the lovely Kelly Olexa (founder of FitFluential) and I’m looking forward to the experience. This will be my first “blogging” conference and first time at Fitbloggin – I will be recapping the weekend in a few posts so be on the lookout. In the meantime, I thought I would share a fun little survey that has been floating around the blog world for a while.
1. Run/workout in the heat & humidity or freezing temps and snow?
Can I just NOT run? I definitely prefer running when it’s cooler out.
2. Have washboard or flat abs?
I’d rather have abs that allow me to deadlift and squat well. If I had to pick – probably washboard.
3. Dr. Oz or the Doctors?
4. Cardio or strength?
5. Cravings: Protein or carbs?
Usually I crave carbs or fats. Or just bacon.
6. Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper?
I’m going to say Bob.
7. Frozen Yogurt or Ice cream?
Ice cream! I’m probably the only blogger who dislikes frozen yogurt – when I want ice cream, I want the good stuff.
8. To train: upper body or lower body?
9. Protein powder or food with protein?
Food with protein. I limit my powder consumption to just a Progenex shake post-workout.
10. Lunges or squats?
11. Sweet or salty?
Both – in chocolate covered pretzel form (OMG)
12. Workout attire: cute or comfy?
Both but function comes first. Usually I wear some sort of spandex shorts and a tank top.
13. Body Pump or heavy lifting?
Heavy lifting, always.
14. Yoga or pilates?
15. Nike or Adidas?
Hmm…I actually have more Reebok gear than anything, but if I have to choose- Nike.
16. Running on treadmill or outdoors?
Outdoors. I don’t run very often (except at Crossfit) but every once and awhile I love a leisurely run outside to clear my head.
17. Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s?
Depends on what I’m looking for. We get a lot from Trader Joe’s and stock up on specialty items – like our 5 different types of salt (seriously) – from Whole Foods.
18. Summer or Winter Olympics?
19. Exercise classes or videos?
I’m going to say classes. I don’t mind doing yoga at home via video but I don’t have the attention span for anything else.
20. Steamed or roasted veggies?
And because I get asked quite a few questions about Crossfit, here are a few FAQs:
1. What is your schedule for Crossfit? I usually go to Crossfit Monday-Wednesday, take Thursday off (or do some vinyasa yoga), and go to Crossfit Friday & Saturday with Sunday being a complete rest day. This seems to be working well and I haven’t felt overtrained. Some days, I feel like I have enough energy to do a 2 a day but I’m still holding off.
2. What is your diet like? A paleo-esque approach seems to work the best with my body. I’m not strict (minus being strictly gluten-free because I have to and keeping carbs relatively low because of my insulin resistance) and I usually have at least one big “cheat” meal a week. High fat, moderately high protein, and lower carbs seem to keep my body happy, help me recover quickly, and have yielded my best performace thus far. I’m always open to change my diet based on what my body feel likes it needs!
3. Have you noticed physical changes doing from Crossfit? I’ve been going to Crossfit for about 2 months now and I’ve definitely noticed changes! My body is much leaner than it has ever been (I’m by no means anywhere close to being "lean” but I am developing more muscle definition) and I haven’t had any injuries minus a bit of an IT band flare up that I'm dealing with at the moment. I’m physically stronger than I’ve ever been, in better cardio shape than I’ve ever been, and feel much better all around.
4. Isn’t Crossfit expensive? Is it worth it? Yes and absolutely. Don’t get me wrong, my membership isn’t cheap but it is completely worth it to me. I think the main issue is finding a good coach with programming that works for YOU – if you’ve got that, it’s more than worth it.
5. What is your favorite element of Crossfit? I will always favor heavy lifting but I'm really growing to like Olympic lifting, even though I'm not great at it. I've also really grown to like the gynamstics elements like rings, handstands, pull ups, etc. even though they are the elements I struggle the most with. Playing on the rings is just plain fun!