In honor of my husband's birthday, let's have some cake! Grain-free carrot cake with whipped cream cheese frosting to be exact.
This cake is a 2 layer cake that is completely grain-free and refined sugar free. It's slightly sweet, dense, and smothered in cream cheese frosting.
In case you're wondering why all of this photos are taken with my iPhone, check out Ashley's post about the iPhone challenge. (All photos are unedited except for the second and last ones which were edited with Instagram). I love the concept so I decided to take the challenge for this recipe. Plus, cake making is messy business - especially when it is 90 degrees in your kitchen.
This cake is worth baking, even when it is 106 outside.
Happy birthday husband - I love you !
Grain-Free Carrot Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Slightly adapted from: Elana's Pantry
Yields: 2 round cakes
3 1/4 cup almond flour (note: only add 1/4 cup if cake is too moist)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups grated carrots
1/4-1/2 cup honey (I used 1/4 cup for a barely sweet cake, add more if you like it a bit sweeter)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup (one small can) crushed pineapple
1. Preheat oven to 325F and grease two cake pans.
2. Combine all dry ingredients (almond flour through nutmeg) in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together. Add remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly mixed.
5. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool completely before frosting.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Note: This makes A LOT of frosting - more than enough for a a layer cake that is frosted between layers and all around the cake.
3 cups cream cheese, room temperature (3 packages of cream cheese)
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup honey (add more if you like your frosting a bit sweeter)
1. Whip heavy whipping cream until peaks form and set aside in the fridge.
2. In a stand mixer, whip cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add vanilla bean and cinammon and gently whip again to incorporate.
3. Add whipped cream to cream cheese and mix until just combine.
4. Frost your cake!