Orange Tempeh Sitr Fry
Life is busy right now. My phone is ringing off the (nonexistent) hook with wedding things, I've been organizing and making Excel spreadsheets for every aspect of the wedding (my life is brought to you by Excel), and I'm working on ramping up for training for my 10k. Needless to say, this week has been all about fast and easy meals. Actually, it is pretty much always about fast and easy meals for me. I'm heading to Vegas on Friday for my bachelorette party (!!!!!) so healthy meals are key this week (really they are key every week). I need to save my calories for the many, many martinis I'm sure I will consume this weekend (kidding abotu saving calories...not kidding about the martinis though!). This is one of my favorite fast and easy meals because it keeps me full for hours, is super quick to cook up, and makes awesome leftovers. I haven't made it in awhile and don't remember why I never posted about it the first time I made it so I figured, better late than never!. I can't claim credit for this recipe - that goes to the hilarious and wonderful Mama Pea over at Peas and Thank You. Try it out for a busy weeknight and enjoy the leftovers all week long! I hope everyone has a good rest of the week and weekend!! I will be in Vegas all weekend with my bridesmaids engaging in many shenanigans. Recap to come next week!!
P.S. I'm thinking of including more life/fitness topics on the blog - would anyone be interested???
Gluten-free Vegan Orange Tempeh Stir-Fry
Yields: 4-6 servings
Adapted from: Peas and Thank You
1 package of gluten-free tempeh (Make sure you check the label! Roasted tofu is also really great in this recipe)
3/4 c. orange juice
2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp. gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 small cloves minced garlic
4 cups cooked brown rice (or quinoa!)
your choice of veggies. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Prep all of your veggies!
2. Grate or crumble tempeh into a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes until it's nice and toasted.
3. Whisk together remaining ingredients (minus veggies and rice) in a small bowl. If you like a thicker sauce, you can whisk in 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch.
4. Crank up the heat to high. You want that pan super hot! Add your veggies to your tempeh and stir fry until just cooked through.
5. Add sauce to stir-fry and cook for another minute or two, just so the sauce thickens slightly.
6. Serve over brown rice or other grain and garnish with some fresh thai basil.