Seared Salmon with Balsamic Mushroom Reduction
Our dinner tonight was amazing - so amazing, I'm going to share it with you. It is a super fast and easy dinner for balmy Friday nights when you're tired, don't feel like going out, but don't feel like expending that much effort either.
It is best enjoyed outside on your newly decorated patio.
For dessert - make lattes (or attempt to) using a new espresso machine and pretend that you know what you're doing.
I cannot stress enough how important it is to buy the best fish you can. Look up your local fishmonger and head in there to buy some fresh, amazing fish. This sockeye salmon is the most beautiful deep red - I have seriously never seen anything quite like it.
It taste just as good as it looks too. Plus, farmed salmon contains some not so fun things and your body will not be happy with that. Go for the good stuff.
Salmon with Balsalmic Mushroom Reduction
Yields: 2 servings
2 1 1/2 inch salmon fillets
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 oz. of gluten-free pasta (we like quinoa pasta around here)
1/4 cup reserved pasta water
1/2 cup of thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup shaved asparagus
1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper 1. Cook your pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water prior to drain.
2. While your pasta is cooking, shave your asparagus, slice your mushrooms, and mince your garlic.
3. Once your pasta has finished, set aside and let cool.
4. Combine balsalmic vinegar, water, honey, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl. Whisk together to combine.
5. Heat a skillet over medium high heat with vegetable oil. Make sure the pan is super hot (but not smoking).
6. Add your salmon, skin side down first and sear for 4 minutes. Carefully turn and sear for another 3-4 minutes until it flakes apart when touched with a fork.
7. Set salmon aside. In the same pan, add your balsalmic mixture and mushrooms and crank up the heat. Boil until the mix has reduced enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon (about 3-5 minutes).
8. Place salmon over pasta and spoon balsamic reduction over the dish. Top with shaved asparagus.